Is Your Email Marketing Unsubscribe Process Hurting You? by Rob Van Slyke @robvanslyke
Is Your Email Marketing Unsubscribe Process Hurting You?
Do you immediately honor unsubscribe requests or do you have such an arduous process to remove people that it involves many manual steps and takes weeks? I get it. Many of you do have a nightmare scenario and you’re not alone. There are countless companies that have multiple sources to pull from and multiple databases to update but that’s still no excuse for damaging your brand’s reputation and your email reputation.
Below is a random collection of tweets from people upset about their email marketing unsub experience. Many are referencing brands. Do you think others will subscribe after seeing this? Do you think they will buy from these brands? Do you think more will unsub after seeing tweets such as these?
The old school thought that hiding the unsub link will prevent list attrition is not the kind of list attrition you want to prevent! Protect your brand and email reputation by making it easy to get off your list and/or change the kinds of emails your subscribers receive.
For more ideas on preventing list attrition, read my recent post “Content Dethroned as King?”
To monitor and repair your email reputation, read my post “How to Manage Your Email Reputation”
Tweets over a period of about 6 hours:
- Wanted to change my subscriptions but the only option was to unsub. So I did.
- So if you randomly receive a marketing email from Carlsberg and you want to unsub, you HAVE to provide lots of personal data to do so.
- @Fulcrum_CR haha. I swear i have clicked unsub AT LEAST 3 times on this sodding newsletter and every couple weeks I get another :@
- RT @seanprice: how many times do I have to click UNSUBSCRIBE before you get the point?? > Once more please Sean :> how many times do I have to click UNSUBSCRIBE before you get the point??
- Annoying: Unsub buttons that don’t work. Result: Disinterest in the subject becomes resent toward the sender.
- Today = Unsubscribe day … Too many worthless newsletters in my inbox. Time for spring cleaning! #Unsubscribe
- @tagetik the unsubscribe link does not offer me a unsubscribe possibility
- I hate it when I have to type in my email to unsubscribe. You emailed me, you SHOULD have it. 1-click should be plenty.
- I’ve been going on an unsubscribe rampage today. If your company emails me, you better have a bloody unsubscribe link!
- Do you waste time deleting unwanted items in your inbox each day? UNSUBSCRIBE from newsletters and mailing lists that no longer interest you
- It is easy to subscribe for things on the net that send you emails… SO DAMN HARD TO UNSUBSCRIBE!!! ARGH >_< #AshysInbox
- Dear Myer, why does it take 5 working days to unsubscribe me from your mailing list?
- how many times do i need to unsubscribe my email from the gd KABOODLE email list that i never signed up for??!!
- the inability to unsubscribe from TechDay is driving me mental
- not happy with @delloutlet USA,click unsubscribe in email,then 2nd time,then again,then check boxes,then finally submit..arghhhhhh
- Is it strange that, whenever people unsubscribe, i actually feel relieved because that usually means a hater/negative subscriber has left?
- RT @KISSmetrics: Unsubscribe links at the TOP of your emails can lead to higher conversions#measure
Takeaway: Don’t disguise your unsub link. Use the word Unsubscribe. Add multiple subscription options. Show the email address so the recipient knows which email address to type in if you don’t pass it to the unsub page.
Other post by this Author