Email marketing through rose-colored glasses by Chris Donald @inboxgroup

Email Marketing Through Rose-Coloured Glasses

As email marketers, we sometimes are viewed by those with no real knowledge of the email marketing industry as falling into the same bucket as spammers.  We are not.  For those who have a basic understanding of email marketing, we deliver email to large lists.  We do, and much more.  To those who understand the real value of email marketing as a way to extend and nurture the business relationship, we are an essential part of the marketing cycle.

But looking through my rose-colored glasses at email marketing (done right), we are much more than that.

We deliver the news, good and bad.

We are purveyors of knowledge to educate and inform you on your favorite topics.

We delivered the email in which you found the discount for the perfect Father’s Day present.  We delivered the receipt for that perfect gift you bought for your Dad.  We then delivered the shipping reminder letting you know it will be there in time for Father’s Day.  We even sent a personalized announcement to your Dad, announcing the gift’s arrival with a note from you.  We make you look good.

We then delivered the email from your Dad’s favorite restaurant that you subscribed to announcing a free dinner for Dad with your meal purchase.  We save you time and money.

We send the weekly email that keeps you up to date on your favorite sports team.  We send emails that let you know someone liked your profile on that dating site — seems she likes that team too.  We sent the email letting you know she opened your email and replied YES for a first date at the ballpark.  We sent you weather updates that allowed you to be prepared for the rain after the game and again made you look good for carrying the umbrella so she didn’t have to walk in the rain back to the car.

On your first trip together we sent you the email with the discount on your hotel and airfare.  We sent your receipt for your tickets with links to print your boarding passes.  We then sent you notices for gate changes and delays.  We try to make your life easier and hopefully better.

We always try to deliver the information you want and need.  We always try to be worthy of the trust you’ve given us and to build on that trust by delivering what you want when you want it. We always try to save you money and time.  The two things we all seem to be short of these days.

We are email marketers and we thank you for allowing us into your inbox and into your life.

Cheers,

Chris Donald
Email Marketer

Chris Donald

Chris Donald

Christopher Donald is currently a Partner and VP of Sales and Marketing at Inbox Group, LLC based in Dallas, where he oversees U.S. and International sales of the Inbox Group email marketing service (SaaS). Chris has worked on the front lines of internet sales and marketing since 1995 and directly in email marketing since 2000.

Connect with: Chris Donald

• email marketing
    June 22, 2010 at 2:36 am

Very good article and I loved your voice as how you present this to the reader. When I first got involved in email campaigns, it was as a writer. So, I did tons of research on everything to do with online marketing, and I agree with you. Legitimate email campaigns are not spam. The problem is, you need to prove that with every campaign you send. It’s as if you need to justify your right to exist.

June 22, 2010 at 6:42 am

Glad you enjoyed the article and very well said! Being legitimate, relevant and good means you can’t ever get lazy.

• email marketing
    June 22, 2010 at 2:36 am

June 22, 2010 at 6:42 am

• Renata
    June 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

Ok Chris,

I was actually enjoying your text. As a journalist that works in an email marketing company I do sometimes have to explain to people the advantages of email marketing, how it is a part of everyday life, and why it should not be confused with spam.
    I was enjoying your take of the issue up until the point when you started to gender your reader. You were referring to the reader as “you”, I naturally felt included in this “you”. Then all of the sudden you gave youself away, the “you” you were addressing was a male “you”.
    Does this means that you consider all your readers to be male? Or just the ones that deal with email marketing? Should your women readers just ignore this and relate to text anyway?
    I don’t assume that you are a sexist person or that you intentionally wanted to leave out women readers of your texts. I just think that when writing to a general audience you should not assume the universal subject will be a man, for it excludes HALF of your readers of relating to what you are saying.
    I would like to continue enjoying your texts, but I wonder now if I would be again left out of them. Maybe you’ll just think this comment was made by an overzealous feminist critic, but I wanted nevertheless to share this perspective.

June 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

Based on my interactions with Chris, I’m certain his intent was not to be sexist in any way. I don’t view your comments as being overzealous. I view them as contributing to our community with your POV and I very much respect and apprecitate that.

I’ll let Chris speak to the specific issue raised in your comment.

• InboxGroup
      June 22, 2010 at 11:42 am

Renata,

I appreciate your comment and your point. I certainly did not purposely change gender or even consider that when writing the post. My mind simply went to a story told to me by a friend who met a girl on a dating site and they went to a ballgame on their first date. No malice or thought of pointing the post to any specific gender, though now I see that I did. I am sorry and meant no offense.

Also as the people who read my posts probably know by now, I can butcher the English language and grammar without even trying. So I hope you will continue to read and hopefully enjoy my future posts as well as the other great authors here.

Again, please accept my apology.
      P.S. For the record my wife agreed with you and with that I’ll be making dinner tonight.

Cheers, Chris

• Renata
        June 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your attention and your apology.
        I think you totally got the point of my comment. I was just thrown away with the sudden reference to a male reader when I felt you addressing me as subject all along. Glad to see you’ll probably keep this in mind next time.
        I’ll enjoy reading your future posts, I’m sure.

Best,
        Renata.
        PS: Sorry to hear you got stuck with dinner… but send my thanks to your wife for her support.

• Renata
    June 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

Ok Chris,

June 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’ll let Chris speak to the specific issue raised in your comment.

• InboxGroup
      June 22, 2010 at 11:42 am

Renata,

Again, please accept my apology.

Cheers, Chris

• Renata
        June 22, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your attention and your apology.
        I’ll enjoy reading your future posts, I’m sure.

Best,