ExactTarget acquires CoTweet: What it means to social and eMail marketing

ExactTarget acquires CoTweet - what it means to email marketing

The news today that ExactTarget has acquired CoTweet and their Twitter CRM technology, has already dumped a great deal of grist into the mill for tweeters and bloggers to analyze just what it all means. Some will point to this as being another sign that social marketing is replacing eMail marketing and while provocative, that couldn’t be more wrong.

The fundamental truth that many seem to missing in all of this debate regarding social and eMail marketing is that they are both social – by definition any kind of communication between two humans is in fact, a social interaction. The methodology for that communication may take different forms but, the reality is that communication (in all it’s myriad forms) is how we socialize.

It makes perfect sense that both eMail marketing companies and social marketing companies will form alliances or directly acquire, knowledge which facilitates better communication and a wider reach for their messages.

ExactTarget is making a smart move to strengthen their grip in the worlds of both social and eMail. By combining both, this gives ExactTarget more horsepower to track the interactions between people via social and eMail channels. It gives them a leg up in the industry with a direct link into the power of social and it’s one step further towards integrating eMail and social marketing. It wouldn’t surprise us at all if the next target for ExactTarget is some kind of video streaming platform to help advance video eMail marketing technology.

Are we on target or off? We’d like to hear your take as well. Post your comments!

Takeaway: Since email is a social medium, it’s no surprise that alliances and acquisitions are being made to integrate it with channels such as Twitter.

For more insight, check out this video of ExactTarget CEO Scott Dorsey discussing the deal with CoTweet founder Jesse Engle.

Email Marketing Meets Social Media – ExactTarget & CoTweet from ExactTarget on Vimeo.

To stay in the know and get the best eMail Marketing information that will teach you how to BEE an eMail Marketing Ninja….

and learn the secrets that
eMail Marketing Ninja’s need

• blank
    Scott Hardigree | Indiemark
    March 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hi Jim – No matter if/when email integrates better with social or if social becomes more direct; it’s a smart play for ExactTarget.

At it’s most basic level, being Socially aware is marketable and valuable (see Blue Sky Factory). Going deeper it’s a clear indicator that the channels will continue to blend, maybe even be renamed.

• blank
    Scott Hardigree | Indiemark
    March 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm

• blank
    Chief eMail Officer
    March 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

We agree, a very smart move for ExactTarget. Even a better proposition for their clients if they can integrate the two.

As for renaming email. I love that idea. Makes me think of social email. But then saying that email is social almost feels a bit redundant.

I think you are onto something here Scott. My vote is for e-marketing 🙂

• blank
    Chief eMail Officer
    March 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I think you are onto something here Scott. My vote is for e-marketing 🙂

• blank
    nino304
    March 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Definitely an innovative move on ExactTarget’s behalf. I see it as a step towards embracing the future.

Email marketers argue that email marketing is still vibrant and effective. That may be true but I know, personally, that I check my Twitter account much more frequently than my personal email. We as businesses and marketers need to respond to this phenomenon accordingly.

I agree with Chief eMail Officer above in that I see the line between email and social media will begin blur as we move toward integrating the channels. If more companies follow ExactTarget’s lead, the process will occur even sooner.

• blank