Why I’m not an email marketing expert, guru, thought-leader, Jedi, blah, blah, blah… by Chris Donald @inboxgroup

Editor’s note: We’ve updated the post to add all the Jedi’s suggested by you!

First things first, no one gets to call themselves an email marketing expert.  In fact if you were to give a shout out to those who actually are far more experienced calling them an expert, they would on most occasions feel a little uncomfortable and say they have just been around longer than others or that they don’t consider themselves experts, they just happen to love what they do.

There are many people in the email marketing industry that are very good at what they do.  They are young, old, and in-between.   They are women and men.  They live in all corners of the globe.  They work for large ESPs and small ESPs.  They work for companies of all sizes.  Some even work for themselves as consultants.

Just working at an ESP doesn’t an email marketing expert make, my young Jedi friend.  Nor does running a campaign sending to a million email addresses.  Heck, spammers do that every day, would that make them experts?

A few days ago I got an email with a resume attached and the job seeker stated he had thirty (30) years of email marketing experience and was an expert in his field.  I was blown away; 30-years, holy crap Batman, I better hire this guy.  Seriously, Email for all intents and purposed was created by Ray Tomlinson in the early 70s and really didn’t have any significant impact until the early/mid 80s when the SMTP protocol was developed.  Even then, wide use still didn’t happen until the late 80s and early 90s.  And even then email marketing was only a gleam in the marketer’s eye.  Lying doesn’t make you an expert nor will it help you get a job.

I sent my first email campaign in 1996 promoting a travel destination web site I created. Which by the way; doesn’t make me an expert.  I know others came before me.  Saying you’re an expert, guru, thought-leader doesn’t make it true.  There seems to be a lot of Social Media experts around as well.  I’ll leave that to someone who knows what they’re talking about.

As email marketers we strive to do the best job we can.  We learn from mistakes (and I’ve made my share that’s for sure) and our successes.  We learn from others in our industry that we’ve come to rely on and who have shown us over the years that they get it.  They understand all facets of the email marketing life cycle.  They understand deliverability, content, reputation, segmentation, integration, targeting, the relationship, one-to-one communications, dynamic content, list management, testing and testing again, and to NEVER buy an email list just to name a few.  They are our friends, our competitors, our partners and our customers.

If you really want to learn about email marketing and maybe, just maybe someday get a shout out that someone thinks you’re on top of email marketing heap consider following these few names that IMHO warrant a follow on twitter and their blogs.  Are they experts?  In my eyes yes, in their eyes they just know some stuff, some really valuable stuff.  So watch, read, listen and ask questions, you’re sure to learn something, as I always do.

In no particular order:

Campaign Monitor @CampaignMonitor
Udeme Ukutt @UUkutt
Tamara Gielen @tamaragielen
Dylan Boyd @dtboyd
Jay Chambers @mrJayChambers
Chris Donald @inboxgroup

Please follow, enjoy and I bet you’ll learn something.

If I’ve forgot anyone which is possible as my brain is full today, send me a DM @inboxgroup.  This is by NO means a complete list as I don’t know everyone and most don’t know me.  This is simply my list of people who I think are smarter than most and valuable to the community.

Who are your favorite email marketing minds to follow? Leave a comment you may teach me something.

Takeaway: Experts know a lot, but the last thing a true expert is sure of is their expertise. That’s why they keep learning everyday.

I’m not an expert but I play one on The eMail Guide 😉

To stay in the know and get the best eMail Marketing information that will teach you how to BEE an eMail Marketing Ninja….

and learn the secrets that
eMail Marketing Ninja’s need

August 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

Obviously Chris is far too modest to include himself in this list, but he should have.

Let’s take care of this right now:

Jedi
    Chris Donald: @inboxgroup

August 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

Let’s take care of this right now:

Jedi
    Chris Donald: @inboxgroup

August 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

I could add one or two or a hundred more.

Have a look at this page there are tonsof smart email marketing people there including you Chris!!!

August 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

Jeff, I completely agree with you. This community maybe over all others have some of the great email marketing minds in the industry. What I like best is that any one of them would reach out and help others with questions. A great group indeed.

August 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

eMail Radio is going to take that one step further even!

I sometimes can’t believe the momentum this community has gained in the past few months! It’s no lie to say that I really am honoured to be involved here!

August 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

I could add one or two or a hundred more.

August 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

August 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

eMail Radio is going to take that one step further even!

• Jay Chambers
    August 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Great to see Mark and Scott in there – nice list Chris!

August 5, 2010 at 11:48 am

Jay, You are truly an up and coming email Ninja, I follow you and your posts and others should as well.

• Jay Chambers
    August 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Great to see Mark and Scott in there – nice list Chris!

August 5, 2010 at 11:48 am

• Scottt Hardigree
    August 5, 2010 at 11:11 am

Nice one Chris! BTW thanks for the include.

• Scottt Hardigree
    August 5, 2010 at 11:11 am

Nice one Chris! BTW thanks for the include.

• Andy Shore
    August 5, 2010 at 11:14 am

Jedi’s. All of you. Thank you for being excellent resources for email marketing knowledge. I’ve learned from all of yous guys.

Andy

• Andy Shore
    August 5, 2010 at 11:14 am

Andy

August 5, 2010 at 11:27 am

I want to add

Dylan Boyd I think he’s an expert.

# Website: http://TheEmailWars.com
    # Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dtboyd
    # LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dtboyd

• Dylan Boyd
      August 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

Thanks for the love. I am more like Bobba Fett than Jedi. I get the dirty work done and do it right.

August 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Dylan is a great addition to the list, I read The Email Wars and it’s a fav blog of mine.

August 5, 2010 at 11:27 am

I want to add

Dylan Boyd I think he’s an expert.

# Website: http://TheEmailWars.com
    # Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dtboyd
    # LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dtboyd

• Dylan Boyd
      August 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

August 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm

• J-P De Clerck
    August 5, 2010 at 11:38 am

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate this and same to the Email Guide brothers. I wouldn’t call myself an email expert but I leave it up to you 😉 I’m a cross-channel strategy guy and in my small country there is one true email marketing hands-on + strategy person that’s maybe not as long in the industry as me but has really specialized in email marketing while I still wrote silly papers about email marketing 😉

Ladies and gentlemen: Belgium’s finest (and by definition also unknown in her own country): Tamara Gielen @tamaragielen

August 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on Tamara I’m following her now! J-P you are much deserving of being listed on anyone’s list.

heers, Chris

• J-P De Clerck
    August 5, 2010 at 11:38 am

August 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm

heers, Chris

August 5, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I did make a few unintended ommisions to the list and Udeme Ukutt @UUkutt is one of those as well as the others mentions here in the comments. Please keep the comments coming they are much appreciated.

My humble apologies to all I missed.

August 5, 2010 at 12:44 pm

My humble apologies to all I missed.

• Anna Yeaman
    August 5, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Chad White @RetailEmailBlog @LenShneyder of Pivotal Veracity and the guys @CampaignMonitor I’ll stop there as too many come to mind!

• Anna Yeaman
    August 5, 2010 at 2:04 pm

August 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hey Rory!!!

Ninja, expert, guru, geek, bla bla bla???

Which one do you want to be?

Website: http://www.carlyleinc.com
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/rorycarlyle
    LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/carlyleinc

August 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Yeah and there’s another one I missed, must be old age. Rory is an excellent addition! I already follow, cheers Chris

• Rory Carlyle
        August 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks guys! Honored to be a part although I’m just a jedi in training. Cheers!

August 5, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hey Rory!!!

Ninja, expert, guru, geek, bla bla bla???

Which one do you want to be?

Website: http://www.carlyleinc.com
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/rorycarlyle
    LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/carlyleinc

August 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm

• Rory Carlyle
        August 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks guys! Honored to be a part although I’m just a jedi in training. Cheers!

August 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hmmmmm!!!!

Announcing another email marketing….

Seth Godin.

Please Seth, come out and say hello.

August 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Hmmmmm!!!!

Announcing another email marketing….

Seth Godin.

Please Seth, come out and say hello.

• Peter Roebuck
    August 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Wow…thanks for the shout-out and honored. I learn something every day.

Anna Yeaman (@stylecampaign) forgot to mention herself in her comment. She’s clearly a leader in gif animation, mobile email marketing and retail email design.

Wendy Croissant from Sierra Trading Post (@email_queen & @Wendy_LouWho) is another email innovator. She gets me to buy stuff all the time because she send highly relevant and timely content.

Adam Holden-Bache (@AdamHoldenBache) CEO of Email Transmit is another innovator, prolific writer, musician and new friend that I follow very closely.

I’ll stop for now, but these three rolled off my tongue to easily! There are many more. I think you’ll need a follow up post to this Chris.

Thanks again!
    Peter

August 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

You’re welcome Peter and well deserved. I’ll be doing a follow-up or update this post very soon. Lots of great names here in the comments.

THis is funny, my captcha words for this comment are: gushes expertu. How strange.

• Peter Roebuck
    August 5, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Wow…thanks for the shout-out and honored. I learn something every day.

Thanks again!
    Peter

August 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

• Luke Glasner
    August 5, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Honored to be on this list, but I am not an expert, I just use the force. : )

Luke

August 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm

These ARE the droids you are looking for… Luke, if you had just ponied-up more that the $50 JaCaldwell gave me you could have been number 1 😉

Just kidding John.

August 6, 2010 at 6:28 am

John paid $50 to be #1 on the list. Dang, I would have given $51.50!!!

Ohhhh wait a minute, Jim, lets edit the post and put us and #1 🙂

Then we can auction of to the highest bidder and split the profits with Chris.

Now were thinking!!!

• Luke Glasner
    August 5, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Honored to be on this list, but I am not an expert, I just use the force. : )

Luke

August 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Just kidding John.

August 6, 2010 at 6:28 am

John paid $50 to be #1 on the list. Dang, I would have given $51.50!!!

Ohhhh wait a minute, Jim, lets edit the post and put us and #1 🙂

Then we can auction of to the highest bidder and split the profits with Chris.

Now were thinking!!!

• Remy Bergsma
    August 6, 2010 at 5:34 am

Too much honour to be listed, but thanks Chris! I’m just doing my part to advance the world of email marketing just that bit towards (hopefully) the right and bright future 🙂

• Remy Bergsma
    August 6, 2010 at 5:34 am

• Noah Fournier
    August 6, 2010 at 9:13 am

Great post. I’ve just followed every email marketer listed in this post and/or the comments section that I was not previously following on Twitter. I look forward to learning from and conversing with all of you.

Thanks,

Noah

August 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thanks Noah! Much appreciated and they are a great group of tweeple to follow. I’ve been following you for a while and enjoy what you share. Keep digging.

• Noah Fournier
    August 6, 2010 at 9:13 am

Thanks,

Noah

August 6, 2010 at 11:20 am

August 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hey Chris…

Here is another Ninja, Jedi, Geek from the other side of the pond.

Mick Griffin really knows his stuff and isn’t afraid to write about it 🙂

# Website: http://www.getresponse.com
    # Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mickgriffin

August 9, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hey Chris…

Here is another Ninja, Jedi, Geek from the other side of the pond.

Mick Griffin really knows his stuff and isn’t afraid to write about it 🙂

# Website: http://www.getresponse.com
    # Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mickgriffin

• Kent McGovern
    February 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm

You guys forgot about Matt Vernhout , he’s a Canadian Deliverability Jedi Master.

• Kent McGovern