Interview with an email vampire: list buying & selling sucks by John Caldwell @jacaldwell

Interview with an Email Vampire

After so many years one would think the topic of email list buying (and selling) would be a settled Email Marketing Worst Practice; the worst of the worst practices.  For most it is, but there are still a few out there that tie themselves in knots trying to challenge it.

I’d said in Passing the True Beauty Email Test I’m at the point of metaphorically hoisting heads on stakes (editor’s note: It’s always possible he’s not being metaphorical.).  And when the opportunity presents itself….

The following is a fictional account of a recent discussion.  Since the “guest” believes that posting to public forums grants license of use to anyone viewing that information to be used anyway the collector of that information sees fit, by participating he gives me permission to use it by default.  Any similarities between the characters in this episode including appearance, sound, look, speech, quotes, or hairstyles are strictly coincidence.  Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

In Episode 2 of Interview with an Email Poseur our guest, Stevie, who is “yet to be convinced that the consumer should have a right not to be marketed to on a proactive basis” takes some questions from viewers….

The final episode of our interview with Stevie….  It’s scary that these people walk among us.  They are coming out of the woodwork lately it seems.  Check out this post from Laura Atkins over on Word to the Wise.

Pay attention; it isn’t just the blocking and blacklisting.  Spamming a purchased list can cause your registrar to put your domain in a coma, and/or your host, network, or ESP to suspend your account for being in violation of the terms and conditions of your agreement.

The conclusion of our interview with Stevie….

Thanks for tuning it!  I hope you’ve had as much fun as I did.  With any luck we won’t have to do this again, but I’m not going to hold my breath….

Every time you buy an email list a puppy dies

Takeaway: Every time you buy an email list a puppy dies!

jacaldwell

jacaldwell

Active in the email marketing and operations space since 1996, John Caldwell is an innovative marketing executive experienced in integrated and tactical email marketing and operations. As an independent consultant John has brought his utilization of email marketing best practices, including customer segmentation and profiling, and operational analysis, to a number of major clients including Teleflora, eHarmony, Experian Consumer Direct (FreeCreditReport.com), and more. While at Experian, prior to becoming a consultant, John created and implemented the company’s strategic email marketing plans. He designed the company’s email marketing guidelines and developed comprehensive reporting matrices to measure the operational statistics of email programs and campaigns providing actionable intelligence to Business. John has spoken at Industry events on deliverability and other topics, and is a Member of the Email Experience Council of the Direct marketing Association, where he is actively involved on the Measurement Accuracy Roundtable as 2009 & 2010 Co-Chair.

Connect with: jacaldwell

• Chris Donald
    August 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

This is both hilarious and sad. Here we are in 2010 and some people still want to defend list buying and selling. John puts forward a great argument though the recipient of his wise words turns a deaf ear. It’s really simple – Don’t buy and sell email lists. Ever! Thanks John for the message and the entertainment.

Cheers, Chris

August 10, 2010 at 9:47 am

Some interesting twists in this story Chris. It seems the subject of the interview has seen the light or at least some light. We expect to have a surprise guest today on eMail Radio!

• John Caldwell
        August 10, 2010 at 12:04 pm

So I’m laying around watching a little TV with the wife when my phone rings, and lo and behold it’s “Stevie Drew” on the other end of the line (metaphorically, of course, since there were no “lines” – at least on my side).

After chatting with him for about a half hour, I don’t think that “Stevie” is a bad guy, but just got off to a bad start down the wrong road. I could be gullible and naive – it wouldn’t be the first time – but I really think that Stevie wants to turn things around…. If he does, I think he deserves some props and maybe a little help. 🙂

• Chris Donald
    August 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

Cheers, Chris

August 10, 2010 at 9:47 am

• John Caldwell
        August 10, 2010 at 12:04 pm

• Stevie Drew
    August 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Okay,

I want to say that I am quite prideful of my beliefs, no matter what they are. I truly agree with the reasons behind the standards that John, as well as yourself, promote and I am DEFINITELY going to change my business model to respect the recipient more, but you must admit; based strictly on the debate points themselves, it is difficult to convince someone that bulk email is SO WRONG. It’s almost like trying to convince America that Marijuana is the problem and not the law against it. Both debates are good and both sides have valid arguments.

The bottom-line is that my way of doing business DOES HAVE CONSEQUENCES, and they are costly. There is still good profits there, but reputation is becoming more and more important online and I do not want to sacrifice that for dollars. Hence, I will conform as long as my bills are paid.

August 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hi Stevie,

If someone is a thoughtful person, I can disagree with them on many or all points and still really like them. You strike me as that kind of person so, I’m pleased to have you as part of our community and invite you to participate actively! Really enjoyed your call today on eMail Radio!

You point about reputation is insightful and yes, it’s key today and will be more so as the web becomes more and more connected in real time. Some people won’t realize that till the bus runs over them;).

Welcome to The eMail Guide – make yourself at home my friend.

• Stevie Drew
    August 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Okay,

August 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hi Stevie,

Welcome to The eMail Guide – make yourself at home my friend.